Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hi everyone!

Great post on the ICERED convention. I think the law really struggles to deal with racism under the Racial Discrimination Act, which only covers racism ( overt) in the workplace. I liked your summary of the problem the law encounters with defining boundaries. I remember studying a case in law, where an employee had received offensive emails which he found to be racist. He was unsuccessful in arguing workplace racism under the racial discrimination act because the law did not recognise cyberspace as a space for racism.

This week, I have been attending interviews for full time work next year. I came across an interesting article on Patriarchy and capitalism by Anne Witz. I will post the citation ASAP. She suggests that both concepts of patriarchy and capitalism are connected and that the introduction of technology in the workplace has further marginalised women and has resulted in creating gender segregation in the workplace. Thoughts anyone?

Also- This morning (11/9/08) I missed a snip on sunrise on a woman ( top CEO) who blamed female employees for increasing the gap between male and female pay in the workplace. Did anyone catch this?

Enjoy the weekend,

Rohini :)

No comments: